Sarasota Boating Accident Lawyer
Nobody in Sarasota heads out on the water with the expectation that a serious or deadly boating accident will occur. However, boating accidents happen more frequently than you might think in the Sarasota area, and they can result in life-threatening injuries to people who live in Sarasota and to those visiting Florida’s Gulf Coast. If you were injured, it is essential to work with an attorney who can help you to determine liability and to move forward with a claim. Contact our experienced Sarasota boating accident lawyer today for more information.
- Admiralty Law
- Boat Crash
- Boat DUI Accident
- Boat Rental Accident
- Boat Speeding Accident
- Cruise Ship Accident
- Dock & Marina Accident
- Jet Ski Accident
- Maritime Accident
Statistics and Sarasota Boat Accidents
What are some of the key facts you should know about boat accidents in Sarasota and throughout the country? Consider some of the following facts from the U.S. Coast Guard concerning boating accidents in 2021:
- More than 4,400 boat accidents were logged by the U.S. Coast Guard in 2021;
- More than 600 people were killed in boating accidents in 2021, and more than 2,600 sustained nonfatal injuries;
- More than 80 percent of fatal boating accidents involved drowning;
- About 83 percent of people who died in boating accidents due to drowning were not wearing a life jacket at the time of the incident;
- Approximately 75 percent of people who died by drowning in boating accidents had been on vessels smaller and 21 feet long;
- Alcohol is the primary contributing factor in boat accidents where a person died;
- Motorboats are the most common type of vessel involved in serious and deadly accidents;
- Approximately 75 percent of fatal boating accidents happened on a boat where the operator did not have boating safety instruction, whereas only about 16 percent of deadly boating accidents happened on vessels where the operator had gone through boating safety instruction; and
- Beyond alcohol, other common contributing factors to boat accidents include operator distraction or inattention, operator maintaining an improper lookout, mechanical failure, and speeding.
What to Do After a Sarasota Boating Accident
After a boating accident occurs, it is important to gather as much evidence as you can at the scene of the accident, including photos and video. In addition, you should identify any witnesses to the boating accident who could support your case. You will also need to receive medical attention, and you will need to get in touch with an attorney quickly to ensure that you file your boating accident lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out. Many boat accident lawsuits must be filed within a four-year time window, and the clock will start to tick on the date of the boating accident. However, if your claim is a maritime claim, you will likely have much less time to file a lawsuit.
Contact Frank D. Butler Today
Were you injured in a boating accident in Sarasota? Was someone you loved injured in a boating accident in Sarasota? You could be eligible to file a claim for financial compensation with help from an attorney. Boating accidents can be complicated because you must prove causation and liability in order to win a boating accident lawsuit, but our attorneys can help. Contact our experienced Sarasota boating accident lawyer today to learn more about our services.