Pensacola Boat Rental Accident Lawyer
Pensacola is a great place to explore the Gulf of Mexico, and the aquatic life that lives within it, by boat. Not everyone who wants to head out on the water owns their own vessel, though, and many visitors who come every year also want to participate in boating activities. Due to this, many boat rental companies have popped up in the city.
Boat rental companies have many responsibilities required of them by law when renting their vessels to other people. Unfortunately, in an effort to cut corners and save profits, boat rental companies sometimes violate the law and that negligence results in people becoming hurt. If you have been injured, our Pensacola boat rental accident lawyer can help you obtain the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Laws Governing Boat Rental Companies
The Florida Statutes outline many different laws boat rental companies must adhere to. Those meant to prevent serious boating accidents are as follows:
- Rented vessels cannot be operated 30 minutes prior to sunrise or 30 minutes after sunset.
- Renters and rental companies alike must take reasonable care of the watercraft at all times.
- Individuals must be 18 years old or older to rent a boat or other vessel.
- Boat rental companies must provide sufficient training and instruction on the safe operation of a watercraft.
- Boat rental companies must also provide a written statement showing that they have provided adequate training and instruction.
- Boat rental companies must not rent vessels that are not considered seaworthy.
- Boat rental companies must not rent to a greater number of people who are going to use the vessel than the watercraft’s safety capacity.
- Boat rental companies must provide appropriate safety gear along with the watercraft.
Any time boat rental companies violate any of the above laws, they may be considered negligent per se. Unlike when moving forward with a negligence case, you do not have to prove a boat rental company acted carelessly when negligence per se is involved. You must only prove the boat rental company broke the law.
Liability Waivers in Boat Rental Accidents
Many boat rental companies try to avoid lawsuits before accidents even happen. To do this, they require renters to sign a waiver that releases them from liability in the event an accident occurs. People are sometimes hesitant to move forward with a lawsuit because they know they have signed this waiver and think filing a claim is futile. However, it is important to know that often, these waivers are not legal. Additionally, if the language they contain is vague or ambiguous, the courts will likely not uphold them. A Pensacola boat rental accident lawyer can review the facts of your case and determine the legality of any waiver you have signed.
Call Our Boat Rental Accident Lawyer in Pensacola for Legal Advice
If you have been hurt and believe a boat rental company is at fault, you may have an uphill legal battle in front of you. At The Law Offices of Frank D. Butler, P.A., our Pensacola boat rental accident lawyer can help you overcome any challenge you may face so you obtain the maximum damages you deserve. Call us now at 888-262-8529 or connect with us online to speak to our attorney.